[Sussex] Patents petition

Andrew Guard andrew07 at andrewguard.com
Thu Jan 4 13:00:12 UTC 2007

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:35:20PM +0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
>> We bring site to it knees, if the government doesn't get the hint it
>> never will.
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/04/no10_falls_down_again/
>
> Why does the first paragraph of this article read:
>
> "Updated: Ten Downing street has had to stop showing signatories on
> its "E-Petitions" site - not this time because of daft petitions but
> apparently because it was overloaded with people protesting against
> software patents."
>
> And then the last one reads:
>
> ""By the way, whilst I'm personally very sympathetic with the
> petition on software patents as the director of an non-profit open
> source organisation, I'm afraid that the main load wasn't anything
> to do with that. It was the more-than-ten-times-as-many people
> signing up to this http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax .""
>
> Usually crappy quality standards at The Reg?

What are you talking about!?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_register

Anyway here are some other petitions you might be interested in signing.

Reject any motions to extend the copyright term for sound recordings
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Copyright-Terms/
Deadline to sign up by: 08 February 2007

Ban the use of Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies for digital
content.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/bandrm/
Deadline to sign up by: 23 January 2007

abolish Crown and other forms of governmental copyright on all publicly
funded documents.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/nocrowncopyright/
Deadline to sign up by: 22 November 2007