[Sussex] Wobbly Windows on Debian

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Jan 22 18:21:37 UTC 2007

Steve

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:15:01PM +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Gosh, praise indeed! Now, have you been able to set 6 faces to your
> desktop "cube"?

I found a config entry in gconf for the number of faces but when I
entered cube vision it didn't look right.  Sticking with four sides
for now.

> ATi support for Linux is lagging behind nVidia, so it might be a good
> excuse to switch to nVidia - unless it's a laptop of course.

The workstation (AMD64) has a ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
which the Gentoo Beryl Wiki reports as having screen artifacts.  I'm not
seeing them with the latest driver download from ATI.

I now have a Dell Insprion 8200 with a nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go]
which I'm currently checking out.  What graphics card is in your laptop?

> Did you have to install XGL or AIGLX to get it to work, or does the
> proprietary ATi driver provide the necessary OpenGL functionality?

I believe the card provides the necessary OpenGL interface, I just seam to
have the "libgl1-mesa-glx" package installed.

> What do you use for video playback? I use mplayer and found I had to
> recompile it after installing Beryl.

mplayer, totem and ffplay all work so long as I don't start playing with
the display.  I did get one of them (I forget which) to play on the edge
with transparency and on cube view once, but not since.

> Anyway, have fun.

I plan to.