[Sussex] lircd problems

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Jan 28 10:44:57 UTC 2007

James

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 02:18:46PM +0000, James Smith wrote:
> I have a quick question to run by you, particularly those of you
> running MythTV, and even more particularly those of you doing that
> with a Sky box...

That would be me then.

> Right, if there's anyone still listening, here's my setup:

Yes

> Shuttle PC running MythTV, video into a PVR350 from my sky box and out
> to the TV.

Compaq rather than a Shuttle PC, but the Hauppauge PVR350 is the same
with a S-VIDEO connection to my Ski box.

>            MythTV controlled via a universal remote using the IR input
> on the PVR350.

Haven't bothered to get the IR working yet.  Would be interested in your
config to do so.

>                 Sky box is controlled by a IR transmitter connected to
> the serial port of the PC. So, I have one instance of lircd to receive
> the remote signals, and a second instance to provide control for the
> sky box. The problem is this..

I control the Sky box using a Red-Eye serial cable [1].  At the other end is
a IR transmitter than you tape over the IR receiver on the Sky box.  It
works perfectly.  There is no need to run to lircd daemons.

If you go to their download section [2] you can down load both the spec
and a little linux program that will configure the serial port and sent
the commands to it.  I works just fine and you can test everything out
using minicom(1) or any other TTY comms program.

I found it best to put a script between MythTV and the red_eye program.
The script I use is below [3] and by tailing /var/log/syslog you can
see what commands the MythTV box is sending to the Skybox.

Hope this helps
Steve

[1]
http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial/