[Sussex] Mixing SCSI, IDE and RAID with LVM

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:54:17 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Diego Moore <diego.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well thanks Mike and Jon,
>
> I think I'm going to simplify my approach:
>
> * Forget RAID
> * Partition for /boot and swap on SCSI Drive without LVM
> * VG for Data (/usr, /var, /svr) using all 3 80Gb IDE drives
> * VG for remaining System on SCSI
>
> Great I now also need to look into a backup solution for 240Gb!
>
> Have I missed anything?
>
> Ta
> DM

I use 3 drives, 3 VG's. One of them is SNAPSHOTS, on which I use rsnapshot
to backup the full file system images of the other drives in hardlinked
snapshot repositories. Fast, effective, and I have a full file-system to
restore from in case someone deletes something, and to restore from when a
drive dies.

This also creates different usage patterns for identical drives, which helps
prevent them from all failing at the same time.