[Sussex] So... GPL v3, eh?

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.org.uk
Tue Jul 10 11:11:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:47:30AM +0100, Dominic Humphries wrote:
> The new version of the GPL was finally released at the end of last
> month. Steve & myself both seem to have been arguing with Groklaw about
> it & its ramifications recently (yesterday and today, anyway), which
> made me realize that I hadn't seen any discussion of the new GPL here on
> SLUG.
>
> So I thought I'd start one :o)

Well - why not?

> Has anyone read it? Do you like it? Dislike it? Feel a bit ambivalent?

ehrm... yes, yes, no, no

> Are you worried that Linux will be staying at version 2,

The linux kernel is GPLv2 only (i.e. without the "or later version"
clause), so I think it will probably stay at version 2 for the
foreseeable future.  Changing it requires the OK of all of the
contributors, and I simply do not see that happening - the necessary
motivation isn't there.  It will probably only change to v3 once the
kernel is threatened in some way:
- Patent lawsuits (unlikely. And any litigant has to do a lot better
  than SCO before anybody will even think about being bothered...)
- Patent reform (in a bad way)
- Tivo does something to *really* p*** off the kernel maintainers

Besides, Torvalds isn't too keen on GPLv3. But then again, he's not
really into the "free software" thing - he's much more of a pragmatist.

> or disappointed to hear that Samba is getting ready to go version 3
>only?

Samba going to GPLv3 is good news IMHO. They are probably the ones most
affected by Microsoft's Patent FUD, so it makes sense.

> Or do you not really care at all so long as the next version of Ubuntu
>isn't delayed by all the fuss?

Don't care - "Use Debian", remember? :-)

> "Inquiring minds want to know!"

minds? In plural? It makes me (or us?) wonder...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl at jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/