[Sussex] So... GPL v3, eh?

Tim Smith timsmith714 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 22:37:31 UTC 2007

Hi all
Not strictly speaking related to GPL3 but still an interesting comment
someone made to me today about OpenSource in general. He is the MD of a
company who has just been acquired by another (synergies of codebases,
filling gaps, etc). Before the purchase they were working on an opensource
version of their software. He did say that some aspects were not open but
the majority was.
He saw it as very valuable insurance policy in case the new parent company
decided to drop their software; they could just go and work on the
OpenSource version instead. It seems the experience of Freehand developers
when Adobe dropped that software had made him a little worried.
Hope that's not too off topic. Oh, I've not mentioned names bec I'm not sure
how I stand on discussing work interviews when they're not actually
published as news.
Kind regards
Tim

--