[Sussex] ADSL and weather

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 23:05:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, July 10, 2007 23:39, Philip G wrote:
> On Saturday 07 July 2007 15:52:10 Nic James Ferrier wrote:
>> I was talking about this a few weeks ago and people on this list were
>> generally unaware of the issues:
>>
>>   http://aaisp.blogspot.com/2007/07/storms-reminder.html
>>
>> It's not much, I'm asking for more confirmation.
>
> I am on an 8.5km line and loose sync if there is a lightening flash within
> few miles.  I see this as broadband interference, ie lose of snr accross
> all
> bins (frequencies); consistent with big sparks.  I am not on bt max  but
> an
> old style 512K set speed, my exchange has a Texas Instruments ver 2 DSLAM
> (only thing I can tell about it).  BT has stated that they will not
> support
> this line (thanks BT) so I hope it continues to work.

We've had a history of line faults that BT charged us for, an underground
fault currently causes the line to fail whenever there is a hint of rain.
Its been the same on the old 512K circuit as it is on 8M.

My line has bounced so often that the exchange is running it on
interleaved because of errors on the line.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support