[Sussex] ADSL and weather

Jacqui caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 11 14:00:02 UTC 2007

Tim Smith wrote:
> I'd go further than that and suggest that people disconnect in
> thunderstorms unless you have a surge protected adapter. We once had an

I would go futher - a non strike blew the BT "cycle-hat" dsl usb dongle
and fried two ports of the USB card - The charge rippled through the
PC and fried two wired ports on my wireless hub ~10 metres away.

mains was surge protected but the phone was not (at the time).

No other machines (running live) were harmed.

After that we now power down and disconnect (as recently
occurred) weven with surge protection then UPS.
No longer worth the risk.

Jacqui