[Sussex] smartphones etc.

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Jul 15 15:55:15 UTC 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007 16:32:48 Richie Jarvis wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I'd hold off for a little while - probably at least until the early part
> of next year.  There are several Linux based smartphones in the pipeline
> for the end of this year/early next year.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richie
I sort of thought that might be the best way forward with it.

It's very annoying though, I've been watching/reading the rumours etc,
especially about the "Neo 1973" device from FIC.

I know it can take a while to develop such devices, but surely the 2 or so
years since they announced it, is rather extreme. Particularly when the likes
of motorola already have linux based handsets available, though it seems only
to the Chines market. Hell, surely they could do a deal with an independant
seller and not necessarily go through the usual suspects?

As far as I can tell, it seems that the components are available so what might
be stopping them (or just slowing it down) is hard to understand.

I mean, something that will interface/sync with, say, thunderbird would offer
the best of both worlds - and avoid the need to use anything MS related (some
of those devices do look rather excellent, though it'd be way, way, beyond my
abilities to install linux of some sort on one).

Ha! I just wish they'd get their finger out a bit :P

regards

John D.