[Sussex] Solaris Networking

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 10:58:21 UTC 2007

Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> LINUX is our main purpose but since this is free download Unix and is
> also open I do feel that this is a reasonable digression from our main
> topics.

It's about as open as a can of beans that's been welded shut and placed
under a 50 ton weight.

> At the moment although for me Mandriva is my best distribution and, as
> is observed, the best distribution is the one i am familiar with, I am
> also tackling the problems with Ubuntu and, once I have solved the main
> ones with the help of our community, I will move on to other distributions.

I don't think you'd want to use Solaris (has to remember not to spell it
'Slowaris' as I'm posting from a company address ;) as a desktop system.
There is a GNU/Solaris distribution that's basically the Solaris kernel
with the Ubuntu userspace layered on top. I installed it the other day,
and it seemed kinda interesting. And slow. But I was running it in VMWare.

If you're after more UNIX-like experience, and want to be even more free
and open than Linux, check out the BSDs.

Probably FreeBSD and OpenBSD. FreeBSD is 'user friendly'. OpenBSD is
secure and VERY minimal.

If you really want to learn hard-core UNIX/BSD administration, I'd look
at OpenBSD. It's only 50-odd MB to download, too.

Cheers,

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley at redhat.com> direct: +44 1252 362815
Technical Account Manager                    office: +44 1252 362700