[Sussex] XP pain

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jun 7 11:31:57 UTC 2007

Hi Gavin,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:51:08AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:01:24 +0100
> Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:
> > P.S I've been browsing the list and not seen one mention of USE
> > DEBIAN.  What's going on? Has everyone switched to Ubuntu since I left
> > and no-one  cares for [use] Debian any more? :(
>
> I can't imagine using anything other than Debian (OK, apart from DSL on
> my 10 year old laptop - DSL is Debian based). Ubuntu is popular, but it
> always amuses me when people say "Ooh, isn't Ubuntu friendly!" - well,
> yes, but all the friendly bits come from Debian.

O RLY?

* Ubiquity live CD installer
* Automatic codec download tool
* GNOME Update manager
* Restricted drivers manager

All started life in Ubuntu. These are tools that strive to make the user
experience easier/friendlier.

Ubuntu ships with some common apps:-

* GNOME
* KDE
* XFCE
* Firefox
* OpenOffice.org
* GAIM

All started in upstream (that's upstream _from_ _debian_ too).

Yes Ubuntu has a lot to thank Debian for, but to argue that Debian is where
the friendlyness started is somewhat inaccurate.

> Gavin. [use-debian]

Cheers,
Al. [use whatever is appropriate for the job in hand]