[Sussex] XP pain

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Mon Jun 11 18:36:13 UTC 2007

Paul Shepard wrote:

> I have spent some time trying to understand Ubuntu and Linux now someone
> introduces me to 'Fedora'
> Whats the diference, whats best and where do I go from here...

Linux is an operating system, just like, but better than ;) Windows.

Unlike Windows, Linux is available from several different "distributors".

Each "Distribution" has a name, Ubuntu, Debian, Susse, Fedora etc.

They all contain pretty much the same thing but there are subtle differences
about the way they have been put together.

Which is best depends on what you are trying to do with it. It's like cars,
a 2 seater roadster is fun, but not much good if you want to tow a caravan.
Some distros are optimised for use on servers and others for use as desktop
work stations. Some work on old small/slow hardware others need massively
powerful multi-processor systems.

The answer to "what's best"? is "What are you trying to do"?

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -
Winston Churchill