[Sussex] XP pain

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 06:43:29 UTC 2007

> How you think, how you learn, how you want to interact with the computer
> are going to effect that choice.  So give a number of them a try.  You'll
> find out which ones best suit your needs.

Ideally use a computer  with another hard disk (at least 10gig in size)
with enough memory a minimum of 256meg is desirable and a fast enough
processor 600meg or more and then go for it.
Choose the option to wipe the disk so mske sure there is no data there
you wish to keep, put it elswhere.
Now install the system Ubuntu, Fedora etc.
But do try it.

I know from experience that one wipes the disk totally several times (3
or 4 times) before you have a system that you are are happy with. With
Linux installing the system takes from 30 minuites to an hour or so
depending (and you have a full suite of programs). With Windows
installing takes more than an hour and then you have to add all the
programs afterwards.
Of course there is lots to learn but, you will have a system which is
easier to use and much faster. And of course the problems of viruses and
crashing are things of distant Microsoft days. Once you have a go you
will begin to believe all this.

Of course the administration side is different and does require some
care but as a user you can only damage your profile. So log in on a
guest account and mess around with it. You can always delete the guest
account a nd recreate it (as administartor).
I have my neighbour who is 76 (and she is new to computers) using the
computer, emailing (including attachments) browsing, viewing on-line tv
(from Australia) and lots more. I answer questions and show how to do
things and straigten out her profile (less and less) but, I don't let
her near the system, as yet.

Finally I still do reluctantly help with Microsoft disaters but for my
part I have not used it myself for some years (and professionally since
1970 never) and am definitely not at ease with it, the mouse freezes (in
the middle of something) and worse.

--
Windows users love viruses, others use UNIX and Linux.