[Sussex] XP pain

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Jun 12 14:44:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:50:37 +0100, Andrew Guard <andrew07 at andrewguard.com> wrote:
> Paul Shepard wrote:
>> OK you got my interest.
>> I have spent some time trying to understand Ubuntu and Linux now someone
>> introduces me to 'Fedora'
>> Whats the diference, whats best and where do I go from here...
>>

> Wow what a loaded question. Choice one a stick with it for few months at
> least 3/4. There really are 2 ways of doing things there Debian or Red
> Hat way of doing it. Now everyone has the own play on doing everything
> but always seams to go back to them 2.
>
> Debian = Ubuntu
> Red Hat = Fedora
>
> Windows = Is like sleaping
> Ubuntu = Is like walking
> Debian = Is like flying space shuttle.

Gentoo (stage one install) = is like walking into a space shuttle and trying to fly it whilst asleep. ;o)

Paul,

For the time being if I were you I'd stick with whatever you're using currently.  I've played with various versions of linux including SuSE, RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo and Ubuntu.  Out of all of these, I've found Ubuntu to be the most user friendly and Gentoo to be the most worthwhile (and steepest) learning curve.  Of course, as with everyone on this list, you're experience will be far different from mine, but at the moment, stick to what you know!

Hope this helps ina  random way,

Matt.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace