[Sussex] musing about what I'd really like...

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 12:37:29 UTC 2007

"=?utf-8?B?UHliZQ==?=" <squalidstuff at gmail.com> writes:

> Typically, this sort of thing is done using software like nagios and
> the like, wich will drop you an email if there is an issue.

Yes. From a management pov nagios is the kind of approach I'm talking
about.

Wouldn't need nagios though... it's much too complex.

> Personally I wouldn't want something talking to me everytime there
> is ping loss for a server I am dealing with.

No. That's my point. It's not 1 ping loss that you want to do anything
with. You want overall quality to be displayed as a function of the
state of the device. Probably statistical.

Just like nagios does.

> Sounds like a fun project though. A simple way would be to use
> something like nagios and just have a device that would alert and or
> read out loud the emails as they come in......

Yes.

I thought about it a bit more.

Given that you need a computer to do this I am thinking I'll see if I
can make a cheap ipaq or something like that be a SMB/WebDAV music
player with an additional alerter.

Something that would be interesting to do is play happy music when
things are generally good and more depressing music when you get
packet loss.

If I use an ipaq I could also change the screen color based on the
overall state of things.

I think individual "things" should have user specified weights for an
overall effect like screen color.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk