[Sussex] Printer sharing

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Jun 26 20:04:18 UTC 2007

Desmond

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:17:39PM +0100, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I have set up 2 computers on a local network. They are DHCPed and work fine.
> The printer is attached to one machine and I can configure CUPS on the
> other machine to use the tcp/ip of the one carrying the printer, but
> being dynamic that can change. But it will not accept the host mane of
> the first machine.
> What am I doing wrong?

Configure the "printer server" with a static address.  You can do this in
two ways:

1). Configure the DHCP server to issue a fixed IP address for a given
     MAC (hardware) address.  You can find the MAC (hardware) address
     from the command line with the following command:
         /sbin/ifconfig

     This will probably give you two reports, one for the loopback
     device (lo - 127.0.0.1) and the other for your NIC (which is
     probably called eth0).

     Here is my output any my MAC address is 00:08:C7:A1:CE:BD

     $ /sbin/ifconfig
     eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:C7:A1:CE:BD
     inet addr:82.68.142.131  Bcast:82.68.142.135  Mask:255.255.255.248

2). Configure the "printer server" to have a static IP address and not
     to get it's network address from the DHCP server.  This is the
     method I prefer but you need to make sure that you don't use an
     address that could be issued by the DHCP server.

> An idea, I can put in 1932.168.1.<actual>.

I assume that you meant to type 192.168.1.<actual> an not "1932"  :-)

> Should I be specifying <hostname> or,
> should I be specifying 192.168.1.<hostname> ?

An IP address in *only* an IP address if it contains four numbers in the
range 0-255 separated by dots.  If you used your second form your computer
would start using DNS.

Once you have configured your "printer server" with a fixed IP address
you can then edit the file /etc/hosts on the other computer and add
the address there.  That file should already have an entry for the
loopback interface (127.0.0.1) which is always called "localhost".
Just add the entry for the printer server:

   127.0.0.1		localhost
   192.168.1.<actual>	<printer-server-hostname>

Hope this helps