[Sussex] Moot Attendance List

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Jun 26 20:25:14 UTC 2007

Hi Karl

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:21:39PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 03:00:02PM +0100, Sussex wrote:
> > The following people have signed up to the Sussex Linux
> > User Group meeting on Thursday 28 June 2007.

> > Gavin Stevens
> > Karl JÃ??rgensen
>
> I think that the SLUg Auto Meeting mailer doesn't like me. It seems to
> suffer from a character set confusion...

I have to admit that when I designed the system I didn't concider
non-ASCII complainent names.

> My name *did* look right on the HTML form, but this
> "Karl JÃ??rgensen" guy looks like my badly-translated UTF8 alter ego?

It's probably a configuration issue between the character coding of
the webpage, MySQL database and/or mail(1) which is used to sent out the
list.

> Any way to fix that?

Probably, but I don't know if the top of my head.  But here's the approprate
code it you want to have a go.

The table definition is as follows:
  CREATE TABLE `attendees` (
      `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
      `attend` enum('Y','N') default NULL,
      `modified` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
      `created` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
      `signedup` datetime default NULL,
      `remote_ip` varchar(100) default NULL,
      PRIMARY KEY  (`name`)
                           ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

A new name is inserted into the database with the following SQL:
  REPLACE INTO attendees (signedup, modified, created, name, attend, remote_IP)
.         VALUES (now(), now(), now(),
                  '${_POST[name]}', 'Y', '$_SERVER[REMOTE_ADDR]')

And the list is emailed using the following:
  ( echo "The following people have signed up to the Sussex Linux";
    echo "SELECT name FROM attendees WHERE  attend = 'Y' ORDER BY NAME;" |
        mysql;
    echo ;
  ) | mail -s "Moot Attendance List" sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk

> PS: Changing my surname is not an option. Really...
>
> --
> Karl E. Jorgensen
> karl at jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/
> karl at jorgensen.com     http://karl.jorgensen.com

But I notice that you have an ASCII complient form of your name so why
not use that?  If that's acceptable I'll remove the "Karl JÃ??rgensen"
entry from the database.