[Sussex] Is this a bug (kdepim/kmail)?

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Mar 11 09:47:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 09:36, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I would add a word of caution here.
> Always know how to backup your file first, for thunderbird, it is in the
> .thunderbird folder which is hidden in the normal file manager view.
> My feeling is that I would uninstall the application and then reinstall
> it. I certainly do occasionally get corruptions sometimes during
> downloads of updates and I put these down to glitches somewhere.
Which I could have understood if "it" had been repaired with some of the
uninstall/cleanup/re-install stuff I tried Desmond.

It just struck me as really strange because it only started working properly
when I'd deleted about 80% of the stuff in the in box then and now appears to
be working fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss to work out what exactly might have caused this -
afterall the kdepim code is quite mature and not know to be flakey - the size
of the cache/inbox type setting is one that I've seen under windows (IE for
web cache etc) but I considered that kde might have such a setting even if I
can't find it.

I certainly don't have the knowledge to go delving into the code, but knowing
if it might "sound" like a bug as opposed to a corruption (or even malicious
code - though I don't think that thats very likely) might help. Then at least
I can note down any senders/subjects and ask them to re-send anything that
might be important if it gets "killed" as in this instance.

regards

John D.