[Sussex] Ubuntu used in the fight against AIDS

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 17 16:08:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 14:36 +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 08:09 +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > OK Geoff, our curiosities are piqued now - what are your salary levels?
>
> Well, I couldn't tell you across the organisation as a whole, nor can I
> give you specific examples (for obvious reasons).
>
> The range I usually quote is 20-35k p/a, but the top end doesn't really
> have defined limit, although obviously we have a budget to consider.  In
> practice we make very few offers to people above around the 35k mark
> because the expectation of people in that salary bracket are so often
> based on experience and skills that aren't relevant to what we're trying
> to achieve.
>
> Of course starting salaries are not very reflective of what people
> actually earn - within the technology team we tend to be cautious about
> salary to begin with and raise it quickly for those who demonstrate
> their value - this reflects the reality that it's really very difficult
> to get a true picture of someones value to the company during an
> interview process.
>
> > Well, they do say HR stands for Hopeless Recruiting.
> :-)
>
> A nice line, but I counter, recruiting is hard.  I'd go so far as to say
> it's both the most difficult and the most important part of my job.

But at least you're doing it, not some spotty HR noob who hasn't a clue.
I was interviewed for the position of Fleet Administration Manager at
Virgin not long after I fell off my medical. Interview was by the Chief
Pilot who was completely disinterested - he'd already made up his mind
on which of the 6 candidates he wanted - and some HR girl who asked
questions straight out of the "HR Recruitment Interviews for Dummies"
book. Very dispiriting. At least you know your stuff, so anyone who gets
interviewd for CMed will be selected on a sound basis.

> Cmed's HR staff have always been helpful and extremely competent IMHO.

You're very fortunate