[Sussex] Ubuntu used in the fight against AIDS

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Mar 17 18:27:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 17:57 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> It's much clearer to me. *COOL*.

Glad it helped.

> For questions, have you played with Xen or VMware to make the appliances
> transferable to different hardware configuratons? Or would that be giving
> away secrets?

Well, what Xen can and cannot do is not something I'm in a position to
keep secret :-)  I think the FSF would revoke my membership! :-)

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here though.

If you mean "have we used Xen to make ourselves a bit less dependent on
specific hardware?", then yes, that is one reason.

If you mean "have you used Xen to allow you to shift running images
around to deal with different situations?", then no, we haven't but it's
certainly an idea we're aware of and something we may well do in the
future.

We only ever tend to use Xen server side and on development desktops at
the moment (it's handy to be able to set up networks of virtual machines
when you're developing p2p appliances), we don't use it on laptop
appliances.

--
Geoffrey Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation