Linux recruiting, was Re: [Sussex] Ubuntu used in the fight against AIDS

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 18:34:23 UTC 2007

> The relentless technical honesty of many Linux advocates can make us
> unloved as interviewers(ees).
As an engineer I do so agree, we deal with reality and either it works
or it does not work. We can't bluff it, so honesty is a traight of
competent engineers. We just don't want the politics.

I also could relate many instances of the politics but at the end of it
all the 'truth will out'. The managers don't like it but we don't wish
to waste valuable engineering time playing those games.

Another thing, from my experiences, the customer wants the truth in the
first place, it just saves so much time. And yes we all make mistakes
but the sooner that is admitted the sooner it can be fixed and this will
always minimize the damage.

The company culture in Motorola was, and hopefully still is, 'truth,
honesty and respect' (and that leads to many important aspects) and to
see that company being led, by example, by Chris Galvin made my time
with that company really very enjoyable.