[Sussex] Thoughts On Contrubuting to the Community

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 15:18:02 UTC 2007

Steve Dobbo Dobson <steve at dobson.org> writes:

> So here is your homework from me.  You MUST reply to this email saying
> how you contribute, how you pay your dues, for using Linux.  There are
> no exceptions, no excuses, and a reasonable time limit.  You can take
> until the next moot to answer.  Because I'm sure we'll want to talk more
> about it then.  But answer you should.  That's my EULA on this posting
> and all my future posting too:  To make use of the knowledge that I
> impart you must be a contributer too.

I have contributed real code to GAWK, GCC, Classpath, Emacs and Guile
and done webmastering for GNU. I wrote the GNU news scripts. I have
tried to help GNU in a whole bunch of other ways.

I evangelize free software everywhere I go. I try and hack only on
free software. I teach people about how to use free software. I teach
people about how various bits of free software works. I try and teach
people about why free software matters.

But I have to say Steve, that I find this a bit insulting to be honest.

We're not a community that normally DEMANDS things from people.

I realize it's Friday and all but let's try and be encouraging, not
bullying. Personally, I don't wanna give anyone homework just before
the easter holidays. I'd rather they came to linux and got involved
coz they saw it was worthwhile not because someone told them they HAD
to give something back. All they HAVE to give back is the legal
responsibilities of the GPL and the other licences and to my knowledge
these are not "let's make the sussex lug a more fun and interesting
place".

yours,

disgusted of tunbridge wells

--