[Sussex] Thoughts On Contrubuting to the Community

Bob Williams linux at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 16:02:27 UTC 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 15:57:28 Steve Dobbo Dobson wrote:
> Hi all

[snip]

> So to all you to spend a moment thinking about two of the questions Nik
> asked last night:
>    1) Why did you switch to Linux?  and
>    2) What is it that you like about Linux now you understand it
>       and the ideals it embodies?

[snip]

> So here is your homework from me.  You MUST reply to this email saying
> how you contribute, how you pay your dues, for using Linux.  There are
> no exceptions, no excuses, and a reasonable time limit.

How can I refuse an order like that? And I wasn't even at the moot :(

I first played with linux about 5 or 6 years ago, I think. SuSE Linux 6.0. The
GUI was pretty basic, and I never bothered to learn any command line stuff,
so I gave it up for a while. However, I was always attracted by the ethical
aspects of sharing, which is where the internet began, before someone
realised there was money to be made selling people stuff.

There's a good book called 'Spirit of the Web' (can't remember who wrote it),
which gives an account of communication media through the ages, from
semaphore, through morse code, telephones, radio, tv and the internet, and
shows how there's a constant tension between ownership of the medium by
individuals, and ownership by big business/vested interests, who package it
up and 'sell' the content to the consumer. Notice the similarity between
broadcast radio/tv and internet portals such as AOL and MSN. Where do you
want me to take you today?

Anyway, I got back into linux again a couple of years ago, with SuSE Linux
9.3. After about 6 months, I got rid of Windows completely and have been
using linux almost exclusively at home. I'll admit to having Win2k and Win XP
running on VMware virtual machines, but only to run proprietory programs that
don't have a linux equivalent.

Although I'm still relatively new to the GNU/linux world, my main impression
is one of freedom, in the sense that I feel I've got ownership of my computer
back again. To quote Paul Sheer, "When you are using a computer, it is useful
to imagine yourself as *being* in different places *within* the computer,
rather than just typing commands into it." With linux, I feel I have regained
ownership of that virtual space inside my computer, even if large tracts of
it a still rather obscure and unilluminated.

So far, I have written a simple shell script to use rsync to back up my data
to an external USB hard drive, and I'm working with my son to use rsync to
synchronise our music collections over a VPN to Aberdeen. He started with
Windows, but I've recently persuaded him to try linux, so networking should
be easier now.

OK. That's my 2p worth. I'm off skiing for a week tomorrow. Must try to make
it to more moots :)

Bob
--
Bob

openSUSE 10.2 x86_64, Kernel 2.6.18.8-0.1, KDE 3.5.6 r31.4