[Sussex] Thoughts On Contrubuting to the Community

Nicholas Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Sat Mar 31 08:41:36 UTC 2007

> Every time I have unsubed it has because a project/list has been ran
> by "bigger than yours" jobsworth. I believe that you are not like this
> all the time which is why I am still 'lurking' here.
WOW! quite indirectly you have managed to nail the very reason why I
find some  fOSS interaction extremely tiresome and like yourself im just
not interested in joining in the Rat Race of the "my experience/my
hardware/my job/my life" is bigger than your.

In realising this I of course recognise my second life maxim which is
that people very often list fault in others which are reflections of
"issues" in their own lives so I would have to admit to being just as
guilty of that particular ideocracy.

Anyway this is my second post on this thread and I have still not
responded to Steves question , the reason; I dont want to be the "bigger
than yours" guy or percieved to be  so im  thinking about the words I
guess. However I  am glad youve popped out onto the list and joined in.
Whilst there are many readers of this list who are spectactors to the
conversation I am keen to know what would or could be discussed here
that would help them feel more included and more able to take part.

To me the community often seems to be represented by a ( technically )
small number of members who do seem to spend a awful amount of time
being self congratulatory and giving each other access and opportunities
to projects and events. These same people are usually the ones who find
many creative and indirect ways to knock down ideas and opinions of
other members who are not part of the "accepted circle" , I believe
there is nothing directly we can do to avoid this. But this topic is
probably one for  a subthread.

Nik