[Sussex] Thoughts On Contrubuting to the Community

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Mar 31 21:36:41 UTC 2007

Vic

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 06:14:27PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> > So isn't
> > your payment to the community, for using GPLed software, to contribute
> > your experience back to that community?  I think it is.
>
> No, it isn't.
>
> This is Free Software. There is no "payment".

There as been much written on the fact that contributions of effort
are a form of payment.  SCO tried the "this isn't unconstitutional,
un-American and against the free market" line and got shot down for it.
Your `[t]here is no "payment"' remark seams to fit with SCO's argument
so I can't agree with you.

>                                                Moreover, the GPL
> specifically prevents attempts to add conditions to redistribution; the
> very idea that any payment should be owing is anathema to the Freedoms we
> espouse.

Not at all.  The BSD guys claim that the GPL can't be a free license
because it put conditions on what you can do with the code.  I can see
their argument but I don't agree.  We live in a free society, but there
are books and books of laws telling you want you must and must not do.
Lack of conditions isn't freedom it's anarchy.

> > You have an implied duty, under the GPL, a license you've agreed with by
> > using the software, to contribute.
>
> There is no duty, and the inferrence is flawed. Sorry to bang on about
> this, but IME the fear that "you don't get anything for nothing" is a
> hindrance to the adoption of FLOSS in several environments;

But there are conditions.  I read on Groklaw that there maybe an implied
patent grant in GPLv2 that may have an impact on the Novell/Microsoft
deal.

>                                                              I've met
> several people who worry that there is some sort of catch, some sort of
> implied contract that they will later have to fulfill (and fund, of
> course). Postings to LUG lists claiming that such an implied contract
> actually *does* exist merely reinforce that misconception.

I disagree.  Having me say that in a "share and share alike" community
you must share may help some of those people.  They see what the "catch"
is and then may accept the terms.  If you go around telling people who
believe there is a catch that there isn't you more likely to be branded
a lier or a fool by them.

> But nevertheless, I think the time has come for me to unsubscribe from
> this list.

If you must you must.  But wouldn't that be cutting your nose off to
spite your face?  That's what my mother always says to such threats.
I think this list has much more to offer than just my thoughts and
ramblings.  If you really don't like what I say that much then I would
suggest that a filter deleting everything I post would be a better solution.

Personal I think you should listen even when you don't agree or don't like
the way something is said.  Try and look for the intent and not get carried
away by the language.  I try to do that the best I can, I'm not always
successful, but I try.

                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
                               SussexLUG Master