[Sussex] BBC iPlayer (iMP)

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue May 1 20:01:50 UTC 2007

Alan

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:59:03PM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:26:05PM +0100, Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson wrote:
> > IIRC unless you can read the T&Cs of the license before you purchase then
> > those terms are not enforceable under EU law.  Therefore I believe you may
> > transfer the software to a new computer - that is reasonable use.
> >

> Are you a lawyer?

No. Never have been and I doubt I ever will be.

> Can I quote you on that in my potential court cases?
> Alternatively can you cite references?

No, I have hearsay.  I can remember reading about such cases but I don't
have any bookmarked.

I think it only wise to speak to a lawyer to discuss the terms of any EULA
before purchase as it's terms maybe incompatable with your requirements.

The same is true of FLOSS software, but as no money changes hands before you
download it and read the license it doesn't cost you anything, but a little
time.

                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
                               SussexLUG Master