[Sussex] wysiwyg html editor

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri May 4 22:29:47 UTC 2007

** Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> [2007-05-04 18:25]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> >** Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson <steve at dobson.org> [2007-05-04 15:50]:
<<snip>>
> I've some experience with grub and LILO. What's the problem?

The requirement is quite simple, but read as I might I cannot get my
head around grub, and not having a spare machine to experiment on it
isn't too easy to learn by trial and error!

I have a RAID 1 mirror and unfortunately a drive died (que Queen music,
dun, dun, dun, another Maxtor bites the dust). I've rebuilt and am
running again, but having swapped the drive with a larger one I now want
to swap the remaining one of the pair. Unfortunately this one has the
boot information on and whereas with lilo I could simply boot of a boot
CD and write it to the other drive, the Grub documentation I've read is
about as clear as the muck a real grub would crawl around in. In fact
most of the GNU tools I've read up on have had dire documentation -
fetchmail is another example.

In the longer term I'd like to have them both bootable so there is a hot
fallback onto the other one, although this has the added complication
that they are both on a PCI ATA card, so that may be scuppered as I
don't think I can persuade it to fallback onto the other drive, but at
least I can swap the caddies or reconfigure the cards BIOS to boot from
the second drive.

> >I think the last time I ran it was at the 0.9x and maybe 1.x version, so
> >that's - scarily - around 8 to 10 years ago now. It has to be going back
> >a bit because I remember running it on OS/2. Now where's my walking
> >stick? ;
> Oh. Oh, my, friend do we want to go there?
** end quote [Nico Kadel-Garcia]

Probably not, and I'm not exactly as old as that implies, but in IT
terms it seems a lifetime ago - though not as far back as my collection
of Acorn, Commodore, Sinclair, Amstrad, etc. machines :)

...or if you're referring to OS/2, that was my OS of choice on the PC
before Linux and I supported it for some time. In fact if it wasn't for
OS/2 I may well have never taken the step into professional IT work, and
certainly would never have purchased a PC. OS/2 made the system bearable
after being used to an Amiga. I could then have Windows available for
when I needed to use it without having a wasted piece of hardware -
after all it was of no use whatsoever for serious use, it was merely a
pretty toy that didn't really do anything (or at least that's how I saw
it at the time!).

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/