[Sussex] Solaris Networking

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri May 18 19:13:41 UTC 2007

Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I have Solaris 10 (x86) running well but I cannot see how to enable
> the internet, the ethernet (rtl) is recognized. Ideally I should be
> enabling DNS but how?

Hi Desmond,

Like the others said, for static addresses, you setup as follows:

/etc/hostname.<cardid> - 1 line containing the hostname
/etc/hosts - add the hostname to IP mapping
/etc/resolv.conf - add the DNS information
/etc/defaultrouter   - 1 line containing the IP address of the default
gateway
/etc/nsswitch.conf - this is normally setup to allow DNS and file
lookups - you should only need to tweak this if name resolution isn't
working - it controls the name search order (files, then DNS, then NIS, etc)

The hostname.<cardid> - You create it based upon the name of the
ethernet card, so for example, on a SunFire V210, you get this in
ifconfig -a, so I have 2 /etc/hostname files on this system -
/etc/hostname.bge0 and /etc/hostname.bge3 - the bge3 interface in this
explain, has the IP address, so it doesn't have a /etc/hosts entry for
that card.

bash-2.05# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bge0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet hidden-ip netmask ffffffc0 broadcast hidden-broadcast
        ether 0:3:ba:be:f7:8d
bge3: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
        inet hidden-ip netmask ff000000 broadcast hidden-broadcast
        ether 0:3:ba:be:f7:90

HTH,

Richie