[Sussex] Howtos

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Fri May 25 20:36:09 UTC 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 21:13:57 John D. wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 20:33:11 John D. wrote:
> -----%<-----
>
> > Well as one who's particularly critical of most of the
> > howto's/instruction sheets/guides etc etc (I'm sure I mentioned that it's
> > one of my "soap box" subjects Steve), I'll give them a "read".
> >
> > Just for info Steve, of all the stuff I've read and tried to "inwardly
> > digest", the best, by far, has been the Gentoo documentation. I get the
> > distinct impression that someone with good technical knowledge and
> > (better than the average geek - no criticism intended) quite good english
> > language and/or literature, has given them the "once over".
> >
> > Not that I'm any expert, just the "LUG nugget" :D
>
> Well to start with, clicking your link just gives my a "parent directory"
> page, so will the parents actually know that they have to open the file
> with a word processor ? Or where you aiming to have "it" open as an html
> page ?
Ok, so after it'd opened (OOo 2.2 is what I use) I thought it started
excellently.

Some further work might be necessary on the layout i.e. toward the end some of
the images "fell" in odd places and made some of the text slightly out of
position/context - not to inadvertently slur your parents abilities, but if
it were my mother (particularly), she'd want complete explainations of
everything in the images (thinking of the one that mentions getting the
driver(s) for the camera - /usr/something/something even if it's only a "one
liner" saying that thats the name of the file where the driver programme for
the camera lives and it's nothing to worry about).

Is the Howto specific to your parents camera? or is it your's because my
parents would be on the phone asking for directions if it were my camera
rather than theres i.e. "but mine doesn't seem to have a switch like the one
in the picture......." etc etc.

It may be that I'm accusing my parents (again, specifically my Mother) of
being overly finicky. Well yes, she can be (Nurse/Health Visitor prior to
retirement).

Overall, I thinks it's very good 9 out of 10 - the other 1 point being slight
refinement IMO.

Damn! I suppose that that means that I'll have to think about contributing
something like that - seeing as I know bog all about the technical stuff
that "you lot" find intuitive!

regards

John D.