[Sussex] Ubuntu on Via EPIA M6000

Keith Mitchell a.k.mitchell at totalise.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 21:22:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:30:35 -0000, Richie Jarvis <richie at helkit.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running into difficulties getting Ubuntu to run on the M6000 - it
> just hangs on the Live CD, so I can't install it - FC6 is running fine
> though, but I want to switch to Ubuntu.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richie

Hi Richie,

The Via processor only has a subset of the P6 extra commands, so you may
need
to boot with a kernel compiled with an older library.
I'm shure Ubunu can find something suitably conservative in Debian!
I think most distros have a choice of kernel, but the hardware detection
flags up
the Via as having an i686 processor so that's the one it tries to use.

This is all speculation on my part but I have three machines with
different Epia boards
and this has been an occasional but recurrent problem over the years.

Good luck,

Keith.