[Sussex] JTAG OpenWRT Bricked

Andrew Guard andrew07 at andrewguard.com
Sun Sep 16 09:34:51 UTC 2007

On 16/09/2007, Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> Desmond
>
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 07:40:01AM +0100, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> > Andrew Guard wrote:
> > >Do any of you have JTAG cable so I can fixed my bricked WRT54G?
> > >
> > >http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/JTAG_Cable
> > >

> > As the link gives 404 please correct and/or explain
> http://mail.google.com/mail/?auth=DQAAAJAAAADD5QBBPTi50CSAbZXfF0ehxTAFivyPfQLR9aJknQgEp4xSAEAdzfWWzAto9i9-ZFHbL0k7QtqyqwQ3bAe5c0QTvZtfYibQj5rPalsegEbJLQzp-GspI6twp6aNR1truKrRdJWpj0e23N3_z0mnFD40F46uHskUxXjz1c0lG1AYK5vKxRIUgXWnxoFgqf58n3w
Google Mail - JTAG OpenWRT Bricked
> What a change.  I tried that like when I read Andrew's post and it
> worked fine then.  It was just a page explaining about the different
> types of JTAG connector, as I don't have one I can't help.

Looks like the (wiki) site is down.

Start at

http://openwrt.org/

Then go for the Wiki on menu line at top page.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/

And yes I am getting 404. Just one those things.

> I did find this [1] that might help in making one up.  But a quick
> check of Maplins didn't turn up anything so where you get the connector
> from I have no idea.

I had same idea trying Maplins but no luck there, but had search on
ebay just to get idea of costs of about £12-£50. There are pro JTAP's
cables costing about £1000's.

Anyway I have no idea really how I managed to un-brick it, but un-bricked it is.

Now for a word from the wise when installing OpenWRT firmware updates.

When you install OpenWRT just make shore that if there is option
called "boot wait" that you activate it. If I did wouldn't had problem
that I did.

Firmware installer uses a simple ftp system call tftp. But isn't
really tftp, if makes a request for password which isn't part of the
tftp protocol.

But if I turn on "boot wait" they wouldn't been a password request, as
such tftp would of worked.

The only thing I think might of done it was shorting flash memory on
track 15-16.