[Sussex] Linuxgym Training / LPI Certification

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 22:54:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, September 17, 2007 17:57, jim snyder wrote:
> national territory issue, but I need to get permission first. I am looking
> for these opinions to help LPI understand why LPI is failing in the UK
> compared with other territories. I intend to summarize the findings for
> the LinuxWorldExpo summit in Utrecht, and only quote & publish quotes with
> the authors' express permission. I liked your idea of searching the
> archives. I am more of an advocate since I have done unpaid volunteer work
> to promote Linux Training & Certification.  These opinions are for
> political purposes. I hope this is helpful. Cheers, Jim

The LPI fails in the UK simply because the level of trust in
certifications is at best hokey. Look at the number of Microsoft Certified
people out there that don't know what they are doing with computers.

If Microsoft certified people to fly, then corpses would litter the
grounds at airports.

There was a time when employers would employ people based on the trust of
a certificate over a degree. British employers have now been left with a
legacy of certificates that are practically worthless but on paper make
people look a million dollars!

I became a Certified Linux Administrator with TekMetrics on the tail end
of a 12 hour night shift by clicking a multiple choice when I could barely
keep my eyes open.

Real training is all about practical skills not by meaningless pieces of
paper.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support