[Sussex] An interesting article (well I thought so!)

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Sep 18 02:30:58 UTC 2007

John

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:18:49PM +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> I see this guy is more slating Linux because he has to, like Linux mustn't
> get a glowing review and must look like a failure because its free.

I placed in him in the same camp as people who hate Vaxhalls because
they're not Fords.  Anyone who is changing over from OS foo to OS bar
is going to find things to complain about, that what most people do.

I find any Window/Desktop/Mouse setup awkward to use because it doesn't
(and probably can't) have the flexibility of the CLI.  But then I started
out on CP/M before moving to VMS when I when to Uni.  Part of my Uni
course was using Unix (BSD 4.2), but I didn't really get into Unix until
I started work when it was SunOS 3.x - a BSD derivative.

It always amazes me that most people are not prepared to spend a little
time learning how to use computer better so it will make their life
easier.  But am I really that much better?  There are part of my life
where I do the same ol' sameo because I can't be bothered to change.
How many of us can say that we put the same about of effort into those
things that we find boring and dull as we do into those things that
interest us?