[Sussex] Swap or advice re SODIMMs and u-ATX mobo?

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Thu Apr 24 14:41:50 UTC 2008

Anthony

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 14:45 +0100, Antony wrote:
> I've two 128Mb memory modules that pass memtest in an elderly (1998)
> Tecra 8000 laptop - but only one at a time as the CAS latency differs.
>   IBM / Micron PC100-222-620 16Mx64 3.3V CL2
>   IBM / Hyundai PC100-322-620 16Mx64 3.3V CL3
>
> Can anyone help out, for example if you use a single 128Mb stick and
> don't mind trying out a swap?

I have some PC133 SDRAM which I bought just before my old Sony laptop
died.  I'll bring them along but they probably won't work.

> Also I've a micro ATX (244 x 200) mobo, an Asus CUW-AM PGA370, that just
> won't play with Dapper or Gutsy, not even the text installer.  Searches
> turn up other equally mystified users wondering about drivers, which
> seems odd as the i810 chipset was commonplace.

I would be helpful to see what the messages at boot time are.  Have you
tried installing the disk on another system.  Making sure that you have
the 386 kernel installed and then moving the disk over to the new
motherboard?

> If any of you can help decipher the log messages, or are junking a
> similar SFF mobo, please grab me at the moot, preferably at the bar :)

Grab me at the moot and I'll see how I can help.  the i810 chipset has
been in the Linux kernel for ages so it should, as you say, work.