[Sussex] My home computer

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Feb 4 13:19:53 UTC 2008

John

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 13:05 +0000, John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Sun, February 3, 2008 20:22, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > Have look at my home computer, the photo was taken in 2004. Since then
> > and after hours surgery I now look lot younger, sadly they wasn't able
> > to give me good looks but hay I don't look like an 66 year old these
> > days.
> >
> > http://img.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/4/11160/11160904_1499892.jpg
>
> Is this a steam ship crossed with a computer? I can half expect an
> accountancy shanty.
>
> What purpose does the steering wheel have on the computer?

Note that there are two wheels.  They just happen to share a common
point of rotation.

My guess is that this is from just after WW2.  Think valve technology.
Those computers got hot.  I don't know if it is an urban myth or not but
I when I first started with computers (1979) I was told that someone got
trapped in the valve room and died from heatstroke.

Maybe the "not yet invented technology" required major cooling and these
wheels control the floodgates that controlled the floodgates.

Steve Dobson

The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid,
stable business.
-- John Steinbeck
[Horse racing *is* a stable business ...]