[Sussex] Remote connection, again

Antony ar at f2s.com
Fri Feb 8 13:32:34 UTC 2008

"John Crowhurst" wrote:
> On Fri, February 8, 2008 01:57, Antony wrote:
> > I'm getting some odd effects while dabbling with tight VNC,
> > xtightvncviewer 1.2.9 on Dapper to be precise.  KB input isn't reaching
> > the server (vino-server on Gutsy), disconnection is the only way to
> > escape the client, and the server crashes from time to time taking Gutsy
> > with it on occasion.  TightVNC has a good reputation so I guess it's
> > probably a configuration issue or possibly incompatability with vino.
>
> Try installing the RealVNC server and client to see if that works fine. I
> had problems with TightVNC in the past, though I never investigated as to
> the cause and RealVNC worked.

Thanks, I hope to give that a try soon.

> > Does anyone recognise these symptoms, or have suggestions on how to
> > investigate them?  If trying another server what's the right way to stop
> > vino-server?
>
> To stop running instances:
> sudo /etc/init.d/vino-server stop
>
> To remove from boot:
> sudo update-rc.d vino-server remove

Gutsy seems to be launching vino some unusual way, and when it's killed
it restarts.

  $ find -L /etc/init.d /etc/rc* -print | egrep -i 'vino|vlc'
  $
  $ ps aux | egrep -i 'vino|vlc'
  ........ /usr/lib/vino/vino-server ......
  ........ vino-session ......

To find out what's kicking vino off is there a better way than threading
back through the process numbers from ps?

Usually when I ask for help with something looking this odd it's a sure
sign that I'll regret pressing 'Send'  :-|

Anthony

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?