[Sussex] Secure connections

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 00:07:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, January 7, 2008 21:37, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> Now when I send email it works as previously and does accept my normal
> format so this is sent from my gmail address using Tiscali smtp.
> Was a glitch in their normal operation so my previous expectations do
> work again.
>
> In the meantime I did try to set up a smtp.googlemail.com server but
> have been unable to make it work. If anybody knows how to use the
> smtp.googlemail.com server I would like to know. I followed the
> instructions on Googlemail precisely but without success.

ISPs in an attempt to stop spammers have been implementing ways to make
you use their SMTP services. They also use this as a form of control. If
you are running a mail server outside of Orange, then set it to listen on
port 2525 as Orange only block port 25.

You may find Tiscali is doing the same port blocking, they are probably
blocking the secure ports too so googlemail won't work neither.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support