[Sussex] Reinstalling lpr

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 08:38:40 UTC 2008

A few weeks ago I installed a Samsung SXC-4200 printer on a Red Hat
system. I now find that the installation replaced the Linux lpr with
Samsung's own lpr. Their version produces a pop-up window whenever an
lpr command is issued. Hence, none of the background programs, that
issue lpr commands now work. I tried uninstalling the Samsung software
but it fails 97% of the way through the process. When I try to upgrade
the lpr software there is no update available. Will it be safe to "yum
remove lpr" and then "yum install lpr" or are there any other options?
Thanks, Brendan