[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 17:56:38 UTC 2008

I have tried to get Mandriva Spring 2008 running on my laptop - without
success so far! the progress bar on the first Mandriva screen moves about
20% then stalls

Someone on Mandriva forums suggested I add 'noapic nolapic acpi=off' to the
boot options, but that did not work either!!

well, the 'noapic...' did produce more movement, the progress bar moved
across but then the screen went blank! one time it actually went back to
GRUB, but usually just a black screen, no cursor

another forum contributor suggested the Linux distro could not deal with the
computer's video drivers(?)

my Boot Options (apart from adding 'noapic...') are currently;

L 11dd-96ee-7fdfle22462d resume=/dev/sda4 splash=silent vga=788

my computer is Medion - Intel Celeron CPU540 at 1.86GHz Chrome9 HCIGP Family
WDDM

any further thoughts, ideas, suggestions gratefully received...