[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Sun Jul 6 18:24:24 UTC 2008

Steve

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 18:56 +0100, Steve Redshaw wrote:
> I have tried to get Mandriva Spring 2008 running on my laptop -
> without success so far! the progress bar on the first Mandriva screen
> moves about 20% then stalls
>
> Someone on Mandriva forums suggested I add 'noapic nolapic acpi=off'
> to the boot options, but that did not work either!!
>
> well, the 'noapic...' did produce more movement, the progress bar
> moved across but then the screen went blank! one time it actually went
> back to GRUB, but usually just a black screen, no cursor
>
> another forum contributor suggested the Linux distro could not deal
> with the computer's video drivers(?)
>
> my Boot Options (apart from adding 'noapic...') are currently;
>
> L 11dd-96ee-7fdfle22462d resume=/dev/sda4 splash=silent vga=788
>

> my computer is Medion - Intel Celeron CPU540 at 1.86GHz Chrome9 HCIGP
> Family WDDM
>
> any further thoughts, ideas, suggestions gratefully received...

If you have a CDROM/DVD drive then try downloading the latest Knoppix
disk.  It that works then Debian or Ubuntu should support it.

As it's a lappie you why not bring it along to a SLUG moot?  It's much
easier to solve a problem if one can play with the machine.

Steve Dobson

BOFH excuse #142:

new guy cross-connected phone lines with ac power bus.