[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 20:46:51 UTC 2008

I am afraid that the problem might be a worn dvd drive.
A new dvd rewriter is as little as £16 in the computer fair. +£6 for a
USB adaptor so that you can boot from it.
If this is a fairly new machine then the Via chipset may be the problem.
I have such a machine (an Evesham) and found it impossible to install
Mandriva 2008.1 PWP (Spring) but I can install Mandriva 2008.0 PWP
although there are still issues because of the Via P4M900 chipset. At
the same time the latest fedora or ubuntu will not install at all.