[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 23:14:20 UTC 2008

Forgot to say that when I see 'Chrome9' this spells the worst for me
and, in the case of laptops may mean the Via P4M900 chipset which i
mentioned before.
Normally when I encounter 'Chrome9' I have to set the graphics to 'vesa'
in order to get satisfactory results. The combination of Chrome9 and
P4M900 has me partly defeated at the moment and I have no full solution.
In fact on the Evesham laptop I mentioned the Mandriva 2008.1 PWP
(Spring) install went quite well, but when we reboot we have a panic
from the kernel and that's it.
So at present I am using Mandriva 2008.0 PWP and have the graphics in
vesa mode. All is well until we shutdown and then, well, we end up
holding the power button down for more than 5 seconds. But at least the
computer is otherwise fully working including Wi-Fi. Fortunately this
very rare problem computer is my own so gives me a chance to experiment
more, glad it is not a customer.
Now if I knew how to replace the kernel in the install file . . . maybe
I can use the one from 2008.0. . . . umm.