[Sussex] Mandriva faster at Internet than Windows

Tim Smith timsmith714 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:24:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

That's genuinely surprising as I used Windows XP on a 900Mhz PC with 256MB
of RAM without it feeling slow. Strangely my 3Ghz PC at work doesn't seem
any faster, but then I leave far more browser tabs open these days!

Is the 1.2Ghz PC intel based? If so make sure the Intel Application
Accelerator is installed - it's made a huge difference for me in the past.
Then again, if the virus scan is running that would probably cause quite a
hit. I normally reschedule these to a time when I'm not trying to do
anything with the computer.

It's been a while since I've used Mandriva (my first ever Linux distro). I
remember the performance boost of Damn Small Linux over Windows 2000 on a
600Mhz notebook.

Kind regards

Tim
--