[Sussex] Mandriva faster at Internet than Windows

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 19:33:15 UTC 2008

> I have installed Windows XP Pro and Mandriva Spring 2008 as a dual
> boot. I use a D-Link ADSL modem that is connected to the computer with
> a network cable. This replaces the USB device provided by the Tesco
> internet service.
The USB modem is a software one and takes CPU power so will be slow in
comparison with the ethernet connected one. Also you should use the
prober modem with ethernet and firewall built in, vital on windows.

> The Windows XP is fully patched. It is SP3. I also have AVG antivirus
> and Spybot S and D running on Windows.
You should be using AVG8 which includes spyware protection, you do not
require Spybot as well, it will only slow you down.

> The difference in performance between the two operating systems is
> astounding.
>
> Mandriva Linux is much faster at loading web pages. It is so obvious
> that I am wondering if there are serious design flaws in Microsoft
> Windows.
Agreed, but remember you are not wasting time running anti-virus and
spyware protection.

My normal maching is a 1200meg machine and is completely adequate for my
normal usage.
I have now dual-booted anumber of dual-core machines with 2GB of RAM and
the speed difference between Linux and Vista is astounding.