[Sussex] web security glitch!!

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 9 16:09:57 UTC 2008

On Jul 9, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Steve Redshaw wrote:

> It is fascinating being part of the SLUG discussions (just to remind
> folk that I am a very green Linux user, trying to wrench myself away
> from Windows) and I am slowly learning more, but there are
> constantly obstacles which I find frustrating and off-putting,
> mostly in the form of Linux jargon and assumed knowledge of computer
> technology.

I appologise for that, it is sometimes hard to judge what level the
people in a discussion are at.

> The advantage of Windows, as mentioned in another recent posting, is
> its adaptability to many different computers and hardware
> attachments, you just install it and it works with just about
> everything. I am not trying to demean Linux, but in my limited
> experience, it is a lot harder creating a computer system with Linux
> than it is with Windows.

Well the it just works thing really isn't true, and the comments made
by the Tescos chap were naive at best.  The spirit of what you say is
correct though, hardware manufacturers bend over backwards to make
their hardware work on Windows and often don't provide any support for
Linux.   This has almost nothing to do with the technical merits or
design of either system and everything to do with market economics and
the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) and other bully boy tactics
Microsoft uses to control the hardware market.

All of that is a distraction from the point however.

> An example of something I don't understand at all!!
>
> "Surely any distribution with network based package management and a
> cron daemon running?
>
> Though whether that is a sensible strategy or not I will leave as an
> exercise for the reader..."
> Geoffrey could you elaborate please?

Surely.  So there are two parts to this.  Firstly there is package
management.   I'll take a Debian derived distro (Such as Debian,
Ubuntu or Mint) as an example, but there are parrallels these days in
most distribution (including those based on the RPM package system or
my favourite, Arch linux's pacman system).   These distribution use
the .deb package format in conjunction with the apt suite of
management tools.   In particular these tools allow for:

    * Continuos updates of available packages across the internet
    * Automatic installation of packages and dependencies.
    * Multi package repositories

These features allow Debian, Ubunutu, etc to define a repository for
security updates to a particular release.   If you run Ubuntu on your
desktop then you'll see a nice GUI tool that routinely checks for
updates and asks you if you want to apply them.   Behind this tool
however is a lower level library that provides this functionality and
it also available through command line tools.    Because you can
perform an upgrade on the command line you can also schedule this task
to happen at regular intervals.   The UNIX way of scheduling tasks to
run is a daemon (on Windows you'd call this a service, on UNIX you all
it a daemon)  called cron.

I'd suggest at this point going away and looking up:

    * cron
    * crontab -e

.. if you're interested in this sort of thing, and then coming back
with questions.   Be warned, cron can seem a little arcane at first,
but there is a wealth of knowledge here to help if you have problems.

--
Geoffrey Teale
Software and Technology Consultant, München
tealeg at member.fsf.org