[Sussex] web security glitch!!

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Wed Jul 9 17:43:14 UTC 2008

Steve Redshaw wrote:
> hi Steve, Geoff and Dominic (in particular),
>
> Thanks for your replies, I do not feel that anyone is getting at me, I
> don't mind displaying my present ignorance concerning Linux, in this
> instance it seems to have created a very useful and interesting debate.
>
> Thanks Dominic, Your article is illuminating, helpful and inspiring,
> although it does rather confirm what I was beginning to discover, a
> lot of Linux users know a lot about computers and like having control
> over their OS.
>
> As for me, I just want to use a computer as a useful tool for my
> business and personal needs;- but before you show me the door (or
> maybe the Windows), I am genuinely interested in the 'Linux' ideals
> and its stand against commercial restrictions and yes, I am prepared
> to put in the time to learn to use Linux (if it is not presented in a
> way that is too consistently over my head or takes inordinate amounts
> of time and/or concentration, I do have business tasks which I have to
> complete on a computer as well as exploring new territory). There is a
> level of frustration and non-understanding that will send the intrepid
> Linux explorer scuttling back the other way, this is partly dependent
> on that person's perseverance of course, but also partly on how
> information is presented, how easy it is to access and how skills are
> taught to 'newbies'.
>
> So yes, I confess, I would rather prefer an OS with a familiar feel,
> which does basically the same things the OS and its software I am
> familiar with does, the OS I find useful and necessary for so many
> tasks. It is interesting learning about aspects of computer control
> that MS took from elsewhere (Windows for example?) and I take the
> point about commercial organisations being able to put professional
> support and help behind their software and hardware, as well as
> publicity (propaganda) which sheds a positive light on itself only!
>
> My next questions then are these; Is the Linux community able to
> embrace the average 'non-geek' computer user? Does it have the
> patience to teach me about the benefits of Linux and encourage others
> like me to use it? Does it want to do this anyway? Am I just a leech
> after a cheap computer system? What can I contribute to Linux and its
> development?
>
> Does Linux need me?

Yes, Yes, and YES!

Being a 'doze user, and a Linux user, I feel I can comment on both ;)  I
am also a geek, but nevermind, eh?

Hardware wise, which Steve couldn't comment on, the reason that Windows
is 'easy' for hardware is that each manufacturer carefully spends masses
of man-hours making the thing work.  However, if you have ever come
across a situation where it doesn't, then expect the hardware company to
blame Microsoft, and vice-versa - been there, done that, got the
t-shirt.  Linux hardware support is now excellant - there are examples
of devices which don't, and will never ever work (my laser printer, for
example, which uses GDI to print), but that is because the companies
concerned have chosen to take a shortcut at the cost of the ability to
use the hardware against multiple systems.

Most devices that I plug into my Linux systems just work - my cameras
(except one, but thats an Astronomical CCD camera) all work, printers,
scanners, USB devices, etc.  And if they don't, theres none of the blame
attitude going about, people actually help to figure out why your device
doesn't work, and that benefits the community.  The reason it benefits
us all is because most of these discussions happen on lists like this,
which get archived, and googled, and then anyone with your problem can
apply your fix.

 From the software perspective, yes, its different - but the thing that
makes it hard is that 'doze is familiar.  If you force yourself to live
in one of the Linux distros for a short time, you'll fine you'll become
just as attached to that.  Thats where the vi vs emacs, windows vs mac
vs linux arguments, kde vs gnome come from - we are creatures of habit,
and breaking them is hard.

Good innit?

Anyway, welcome to the group - its fun :)

Richie