[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 16:47:17 UTC 2008

Hi Steve

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 17:23 +0100, Steve Redshaw wrote:
> the laptop is a Medion MD96515 - model MM2330 Notebook PC

I checked out linux-laptops.org and couldn't find an entry for the
MM2330 and the MD96500 reference didn't report a WiFi card as being
built in.

> not sure what you mean by network card, I am connected wirelessly to
> my D-Link modem/router
>
> from the Device Manager I get the following Network Adapters;
>
> Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11/g 54Mbps USB2.0 Network Adapter
> &
> VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

If these are built in devices then you would either have to open up the
lappie and disconnect them or disable them from the BIOS.   From the
screen shot of the stack trace I am guessing that your WiFi card is
receiving a packet during boot and this is causing a problem.

Google pointed me at the following page.
 http://briancantin.blogspot.com/2007/11/hacking-rtl8187b-on-linux.html

I note that this is reported against kernel version 2.6.23, that isn't
that old a kernel and it maybe that the distro you're using is using an
older version which can't support that WiFi device yet.

You might like to try Debian testing as it is using kernel 2.6.24 (I
know that's what I'm running) or any other distro with a later kernel.

Steve Dobson

Delay is preferable to error.
-- Thomas Jefferson