[Sussex] folder permissions

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:43:39 UTC 2008

/bin contains links, it is not the correct place to extract applications to.
The extraction processes should always be done as normal user within
their profile.
For programs which are not on the DVD or come directly from Mandriva,
these should be installed in /opt. You will find that Picasa  and
GoogleEarth are both installed in /opt and I like to put Firefox3 there
as well. Of course you do require root privilege to install anything. Of
course, you require root privilege to write outside of your user profile
(/home/user).
You login as root using terminal window or graphical but just remember
the dangers in so doing.