[Sussex] folder permissions

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 11:39:52 UTC 2008

Steve

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 11:46 +0100, Steve Redshaw wrote:
> thanks for the advice, but I don't follow what you mean, I can only
> log on as my username - do I have to log on somehow with the
> 'administrator's' password that I set up when I installed? if so, how
> do I do this.

On Linux system the admin is called root, and do not get into the habit
of login in has root.  The best practise is always log in as a normal
user and only become root for those brief times when you need to do
system admin things.  Much more secure than having a power user logged
in 24/7.

I only use the Gnome desktop (not KDE or any of the others) but in Gnome
should an application need root permissions then you are prompted.  This
remains in force for the session (until logoff) .

> I have had a look at the Control panel and tried to configure the
> wireless facility, but do not have the correct permissions, could you
> go through this in nice easy stages please!! thanks

I'll have to leave that to others, I don't use WiFi any more.

> incidentally, Freespire picked up my wireless facility automatically,
> why did Mandriva not do this?

Different distro release at different times and with different patch
sets.  As a result not all distro handle all hardware the same way.

Steve Dobson

Causes moderate eye irritation.