[Sussex] folder permissions

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 22:09:26 UTC 2008

I have sorted out the Wireless wizard now using the Mandriva Control Centre
(I have to work through the GUI) and do get prompted for the root password

I cannot configure my network except by using Ndiswrapper and the Windows
driver, however although I did get the network running, showing it was
connected to my wireless router, I could not access any web pages through
the browser

then the system froze, I rebooted and had to configure the network again,
but this time an error message proclaimed that the ndiswrapper was not
present

I came across this reference in the Wikipedia, maybe this is happening to
me?

"NDISwrapper is useful for a live CD/DVD, but has been reported to cause
system crashes and freezes. Version 1.52 of 2 February 2008, states "Fixed
kernel crash when CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ is enabled". And, certainly, the
inability to use the drivers on other architectures such as
PowerPC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC>or
Alpha <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha> is a severe limitation."

with regard to trying to configure the network the Linux way, I still seem
to come back to the problem that this file (/lib/firmware/ipw2200-*.fw) is
missing and I can't put the file there even though I have downloaded it from
sourceforge

Steve